As you may be aware, there was a change in student immunization requirements in 2016. Under the law known as Senate Bill 277 (SB 277), as of last year, immunization exemptions based on personal beliefs are no longer available for the vaccines that are currently required for school admission. Personal belief exemptions (PBE) on file with the school district before January 1, 2016 for a student already enrolled in school will remain in effect until the student reaches the next immunization check point at Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten or 7th grade. All other students are required to submit documentation verifying compliance with the State immunization requirements, unless a valid medical exemption is on file with the school district. Please refer to the IUSD website for more Page 10 of 10 information about immunization requirements to attend school by clicking on this district link.
WHEN SHOULD your child stay home?
- If they have a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or above
- Students have to be fever free without the use of pain relievers (ex. Tylenol or Ibuprofen) for at least 24 hours
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea, Student may return to school 24 hours after last episode
- Uncontrollable, infectious cough
- Suspected infection of the eyes (i.e. conjunctivitis), nose, throat (i.e. strep throat), skin (i.e. scabies), or scalp (i.e. lice)
- Any rash of unknown origin – student may return to school when written authorization is received from the health care provider
Medication Administration Form – Please have student’s physician sign and stamp the medication administration form for student to use medication while at school
Health Insurance Coverage is Available
The Irvine Children’s Health Program provides enrollment assistance for children and adults for MediCal, Covered California plans and more. The Children’s Health Program is a partnership between the City of Irvine and the Coalition of Orange County Community Health Centers. This program helps families and individuals enroll in affordable health coverage and other available assistance programs. To make a free appointment with a Certified Enrollment Counselor or for more information, please call 949-724-6645 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.